Sex Reveals Company’s Impotency: Using Sex to Sell is for the Weak
Anyone who knows me, and what I do, knows that I am appalled by the lack of real business skills in the marketplace today. This ineptitude is infecting one of my favorite areas of business; marketing.
Everywhere I turn these days I am faced with a mostly naked woman and sexually suggestive message delivery. Have your marketing skills become so deficient that you must get naked to get attention? Are your products/services so void of quality that the only way you can move volume is by turning on your customer base? Doesn’t it make you throw up a little bit in your mouth knowing your workday consists of sexually turning on strangers?
I am not opposed to using beauty in marketing and I’m not “Amish” when it comes to fashion. But there is a huge difference between accenting your product with a woman with good skin, great lines, sized as to not distract from your message, and what is basically porn with a profiled product. Why do I need to see a woman’s naked body to make me want your printer ink? Relevance people, relevance!
Perhaps it is just further evidence of the terrible education that passes as “business school” or perhaps it is a lack of pride you have in your business, but it is beyond acceptable. It is taught that “sex sells”, but the sentence shouldn’t end there, it should really read:
Sex sells…what wouldn’t sell otherwise.
– Don’t want to tell me your beer will give me a big gut and make me a risk to my community? Put a half naked woman in the ad.
– Don’t want to tell me your chips will give me a heart attack and make me fat? Provide sexual innuendo.
– Your department store can’t hold its own weight any longer? Put up some soft core porn to look “fresh.”
It must be because you offer nothing of value to the world that you need to over compensate for your short comings by acting like the man who offers candy to little kids from the back of a van.
No wonder, Mr. Businessman, your wife is disgusted by you. No wonder, Mr. Businessman, your daughter doesn’t want to tell her friends what her daddy does. Why is it, Mr. Businessman, that we never see YOUR wife spread eagle on a billboard wearing less cloth than a handkerchief?
Not only are your business practices equivalent to a 1st grader with a dirty mouth, but your understanding and appreciation of what it really means to be “sexy” makes me think that perhaps your commercials aren’t the only thing you have that lasts only 30 seconds.
Unlike you, who believes every woman is as cheap as the paper your ad is printed on, I see all women as a treasure. They offer more than bodies to objectify and it is truly all the things that a woman is that makes her real attractiveness so appealing and dynamic. While you treat that most intimate and special part of her beauty like a half wrapped fast food burger tossed on the side of the highway, I view it as something to be savored by the man a woman selects to share it with as her husband.
As a real man (get a dictionary if you are confused) and as someone with a certain skill set, I am no longer going to take a passive, defensive roll in this matter. It is time the little kiddies are booted from the boardroom and the grown-ups take over. This is what I’m going to do:
- I’m going after the 99% of woman who you remind everyday that they are not good enough. I’m going to remind them how precious they ALL are and provide the experts/organizations needed to revive the womanhood you helped kill. Whose dumb idea was it in the first place to sell something by reminding your largest purchasing block that they don’t look as good as the naked woman selling your line of products? Oh, and did I mention I will remind them what companies, by name, think they are ugly and their daughters are nothing but whores?
- I am going after the men in this country and I’m going to remind them that they are not the weak, ignorant buffoons that the corporate sponsored media has taught them to believe. I am going to remind them that protecting woman and children is not only a high calling, but it has its rewards. I’m going to remind them how your company, by name, views their wife, daughter, and mother. And if YOU have forgotten why the media wanted to keep real men weak, I will remind you too!
- I’m bringing sexy back. There used to be a day when seeing the thigh of your wife would thrill you all day and make you ache for the end of the day so you can go home from work. Now, a man will see half dozen almost nude women before lunch and that glimpse of his wife’s thigh no longer carries the fire it used to. There was a day when a young man couldn’t wait till his wedding day to see his wife in the very outfit that you are using to sell a coffee maker. You have stolen sexy from the many who want to find joy in it, and I’m coming to get it back! I am going to remind your customers that healthy modesty, intelligence, personality, fitness, faith, and emotional connection is much hotter than what you have to offer. I’m also going to remind them that real love does exist and the definition of it only enhances their sex life instead of robbing their sex life like your counterfeit definition does. It is time you sell crazy somewhere else!
- I’m going after your competition. Business is a dog eat dog world and I just handed your competitor a knife and fork. If you stick with the marketing experts that you have been using, which are as skilled as used toilet paper, and if you continue to view 99% of your customer base as no value trash, then I will continue to empower those who want your market share. If you won’t stop attacking great sex, true worth, and the world’s daughters, then I won’t stop attacking your bottom line. I will continue to empower, train, lead, promote, and DEFEND companies that value YOUR customers more than you do! When I’m done with them, you are going to be little more than something they point and laugh at, because I’m going to teach them, “If it bleeds, it dies.”
Can I put every business who hates women out of business? Probably not, but then again, I don’t have too! Odds are, most of the no skill companies who use sex to sell low quality products are publicly traded (more on why that is later) and with such fickle stockholders, all I have to do is take 5% of your market share, you’re fired! If they replace you with another no skill hack, I will take another 5% and so on and so forth until there is a change of heart (or at least a change in operation). The facts are in, and while sex draws attention, it does not draw dollars! I am bringing quality business skills to your competition; I am bringing being valued and appreciated back to your customers. It truly is a dog eat dog world…
Run doggie, Run.
Josh Tolley is a business and behavioral strategist. His latest book, “Quit Your Job or Die: Discover the Importance of Self-Employment” has been a top ten best seller for over 14 weeks. His teachings have been implemented by hundreds of people and dozens of businesses around the globe. He is ranked as one of the top 100 business and personal growth trainers in the world and is the developer of many human interaction technologies. Josh does take on a VERY limited number of personal clients, to discuss this or to book Josh for a seminar in your area, contact Mike with The Annex Project at 626-893-4917 or email@example.com